- About Disabilities
- About Special Education
- Helping Your Child Succeed
- Network of Resources
- The Laws
- Community of Practice
Make Your Voice Heard
Parents or guardians of children ages 3 to 21 who are receiving special education and related services through their local school system have the opportunity to provide feedback on how well their local school system is doing involving parents in their child's educational planning process. The annual Maryland Special Education Parent Involvement Survey will arrive by mail at your home during the early part of April 2014. We encourage you to take five minutes of your time to tell us how well we are doing in this area and how we can continue to enhance our parent involvement throughout the state of Maryland.
It's Easy to Get Involved!
► Look for the paper survey in your mailbox during early April, 2014
► Simply fill out the survey and return it in the postage-paid envelope.
► Or, look in the survey packet for information on completing the survey online.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the purpose of the Parent Survey?
- The purpose of this Survey is to determine how well your child’s school is partnering with you and promoting parent involvement in your child’s education.
- States must collect this data as part of their State Performance Plans as required under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
Who completes the Parent Survey?
- Parents or guardians of children ages 3 to 21 who are receiving special education and related services through their local school system.
- Parents or guardians of children ages 3 to 21 who are receiving special education and related services who are placed in a nonpublic facility by the child’s local school system.
What’s in it for me?
- This is your opportunity to provide direct feedback to your Local School System or Public Agency.
- Survey results will be available to the public and used to highlight strengths and identify possible areas for improvement in engaging and involving parents in the special education process.
How do I complete the Survey? How can I make sure that my answers are counted?
- You will receive a survey packet in the mail. Instructions on how to complete the survey are included in your packet.
Do I have to participate? If I choose not to participate, will it negatively affect my child’s services?
- Participation is completely voluntary; however, we encourage you to participate to make your opinions heard.
- Your child’s services will not be negatively affected in any way.
Who will have access to the survey results?
- The State level report will be published on MSDE’s website.
- A summary of the Survey results will be provided to each local school system regarding parent involvement in special education.
Thank you for completing the parent survey. Your feedback is extremely important to your local school system and the Maryland State Department of Education!
For additional information please contact Nancy Feeley at MSDE,
(410) 767-0738 or (410) 767-0264